Sunday, July 5, 2015

Analamahitsy week 15 Sabotsy Namehena week 9

This week was a little bit different from most weeks here in the area of Analamahitsy, Madagascar. To start off, it was the 26th of june. Now to 99% of the world that means absolutely nothing, but for the entire population of this tiny island in the indian ocean it means time to get so drunk you can't remember your own name and then start lighting off fireworks! Oh, and you get bonus points if you can light like 50 firecrackers all at the same time! So guess what that means for missionaries here... you got it we had a very hard time teaching anybody on the 25 or 26th of june and we had to be home before dark on the 26th. Why all the fuss? Because not so many years ago this country was under french reign, but on the 26th of june gained their independance from france. 


Then on saturday the 27th our investigators Lanto and Seheno were finally able to get married! It has been a long hard road for them, but they never gave up, and they never used it as an excuse to be lazy about coming to church even though they couldn't get baptized. They now have a baptismal date for July 11th along with Do!

The wedding was really cool. A lot different than in America, but a lot the same. We met at the city hall in the morning and there was a small ceremony where they signed a paper and were pronounced husband and wife and then kissed in front of everyone (super awkward because malagasies hate showing affection in public so they like didn't even touch lips) Then we went back to their house and had lunch (rice and laoka) and there was a little dance and stuff and they introduced the family. It was a cool experience. It was cool to think that the parents of this family are now going to be able to get baptized and begin down the road to going to the temple!


The next thing that happened is that night we were sitting in our house planning and all of a sudden our door gets pulled on. Neither of us moved. Then it starts getting pulled on over and over really hard. We both jumped into action and grabbed huge knives. We weren't going to take any chances. Malagasy people are very scared and cautious people, and if this was a malagasy they were not afraid which meant they had a reason not to be afraid. I had suspicions that it might be the AP's because they had called earlier that day, but we couldn't understand what they said.  So I pulled out the phone and called them, but there was no ring. Now I was really starting to worry. The door being shaken and rattled this whole time somebody trying to break in. Now I'm really starting to worry. So my next thought is, "okay, well if this is someone trying to break in I should let somebody know something is up." So I called the District leader and as soon as I started talking I hear through the door, "Hey hey hey! It's us! Let us in!" Yep, the Assistants. So I set my knife down and opened the door. They heard me talking and were afraid I had called president so they gave up really quickly. I don't know if I have ever had so much adrenaline going through my body. I was literally ready to get in a fight and protect my life. After I calmed down a little I was just like all shakey and got like tunnel vision because my body had used up all of my adrenaline. I gotta give it to the AP's. They got us good. They were just coming over to say hi and see how we were doing. Make sure we were doing alright. I love our APs right now. I lived with one of them in Fianarantsoa and the other one is my trainer's trainer. They are both just super funny and love to joke around. I'm gonna have to find a way to get them back.

But that's all of our adventures for the week. It was another great week here in the best mission in the world! Have a great week and happy 4th of July!

Love, Elder Glazier

No comments:

Post a Comment